Tuesday 13 June 2017

Music Video - Evaluation:


Overall, I think that my final music video has come out quite well, especially in the way of aesthetics. My aim was to create a retro and "vhs video tape"/family video feel and I feel as though I was able to do this by adding a mixture of both blue and purple colour layers/filter over the top of the entire video and then using a royalty free "record scratch" clip to give it the appearance of an older, more worn out video tape. I believe that the different units of work and amount of practical use I had with cameras and editing software has enable me to gain a greater understanding and ability to create the desired effects and overall looks I aim to achieve.

Although I am pleased with how the music video turned out overall, due to having to rely on other people to complete it (the models and transport) as I was nearing the end of the video I had to reuse a few shots to fill up space and make up for the fact that I was unable to reshoot some of the shots on time. In addition to this, I had to scrap almost the entirety of one of my shoot as, due to it being a really bright day, I had to increase the shutter speed on that I was filming with (as I had already set the ISO to its lowest setting). This resulted in some of the shot still being a little over exposed with the addition of the footage having a very unnatural look as everything was too sharp and vivid.

If I had to redo this music video, I would primarily make sure that I did a great deal more shoots and therefore decrease the chances of me running out of good footage to use and having to reuse some of the clips twice. I would also add two black bars on either side of the screen/video to give it a more squared look - meaning that it would look more like the vhs video tapes as they were sized differently.

As I wanted to relate the final music video to the already existing music videos of the band (who's song I chose) and my research, I elected to insert the bands logo and the title of the song in the first 10 seconds of the video. Not only does this create the clear link to my research - where artist place their "brand identity" at the start of their music videos - I feel as though it gives the video a more professional edge and allows the audience to immediately gauge what they are about to watch. This final video also ties into my contextual research as my choice of editing (particularly in terms of cutting) amplified and compliments the music and the beat of the song - as well as through the visuals matching up with the lyrics in places such as "heard that you were feeling blue".

Throughout the music video, I feel as though I was able to create a great deal of aesthetically pleasing colour pallets as I originally planned to do when I was producing ideas for my music video - although, as a result of the colour overlays a great deal of them have lost a small amount of their impact but still remain fairly eye catching. Some of the shots that have the more visually pleasing colour schemes/pallets are shown below:










No comments:

Post a Comment