Thursday 3 November 2016

Pull Focus practice:


This is a short video I made to practice the technique of 'pull focus', this is when the focal point of the frame is changed by pulling the focus from one part of the image to another. Pull focus can be used to great effect when conveying to the audience a different point of interest in the scene or where they should focus. 

To achieve this effect, I used to following camera settings: 24fps, 1/50 shutter speed, 5.6ff aperture. As I wanted to maintain some quality in the video capture, I had to keep changing the ISO to try to gain the correct exposure.

Although I managed to try out and practice this technique, I experienced a great deal of problems due to my hands shaking and there not being a tripod for me to use - this lead to there being some footage that I was unable to use. In addition, I had some instances of footage where the exposure is wrong and the clips have come out too dark/under exposed (this is shown in the coat hangers clip included in the video). 

No comments:

Post a Comment